Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Life is Short----kind of...

When we got to Anderson, I tried to call a few people that I knew we would not have time to see (and shouldn't see with our three kids in tow!). One of the couples I called were Denny & Wiletta. They are in their 90s. Wiletta took care of me sometimes when I was a little girl. When I called, a stranger answered the phone. It was their daughter. She said that her Mom was in the hospital. I had already heard that Denny was not doing very well, but I didn't know that her Mom was also facing serious health challenges. We stopped by yesterday and it seemed that she was in bad shape. She was on a respirator. She recognized me and tried to talk, but I just spoke to her and held her hand. I prayed with her and she squeezed my hand tightly. The doctor said that the options for her would depend on how she did over night. Today I stopped by with Ryan and Niko in tow (after their dental checkup). She had rallied and was up and talking with her husband. He didn't remember me at all, but she sure did. We talked and prayed again. Her breathing was really labored, but she was breathing on her own. I am not sure if they are going to try a heart operation or just try to keep her comfortable. I am hoping that I can get news as we leave Anderson tomorrow.

Wiletta is a beautiful soul who loves Jesus and has served Him her whole live. She has had a wonderful life---a full life. I know that when she joins Jesus, there will be rejoicing. But, it is still sad to watch life ebb away. No matter how peaceful it is or how exciting it seems to be united with Christ, it can't be separated from the sadness. As Denny and Wiletta held hands this morning, I could see their love. I could see the bond that the long years together had formed and I could see that in holding hands, they are trying to grasp and hold this moment now...for as long as they can. That just broke my heart. They've had long lives...and full lives...but, that almost makes it more sad.

There has been more news of the possibility of cancer facing friends who serve with us overseas and it seems like it has really shaken their world. It remains to be seen what the outcome will be, but as I look at all of my friends battling cancer in their own separate journeys, I just feel overcome with sadness. ALL of them know the Lord and all of them love Him dearly...but it doesn't mean that this journey is easy. I am sure though, that they would all say it would be tremendously more difficult without Him.

Though life is intensely sad sometimes, it really is beautiful...and I am praying for my dear friends today.

No comments:

Post a Comment