Thursday, September 23, 2010

Soup-sellers

Has giving to someone ever made you cry because you felt so happy?

For quite awhile I’ve passed this couple on the road. They are an older couple and they push a cart from which they sell soup. Just from the times that I have passed them, I know that they travel quite a distance each day. Sometimes I see older people and I am just touched by how “cute” they are. This couple has pulled on my heart strings that way. The old man is a little shorter than me and he wears a hat. His pants are 70-ish…maybe a polyester blend. The clothes are old and have a worn look, but they aren’t dirty. His wife is shorter and wears a blouse, skirt and flip-flop sandals. Together they push the cart up and down hills, dodging traffic along the way.

I’ve seen this couple when I’m out with my kids and I’ve commented on them more than once. I’m sure if I asked my older boys, they would know who I was talking about. Usually we’re on our way home from enjoying an afternoon at the pool and we see them pushing their cart home. I’ve just felt humbled by their effort and dedication to their work. I love seeing them and how they work together. I’ve wanted to talk to them and do something nice for them.

Today I got my chance. I saw them when Chase and I stopped at a little convenience store. They were stopped outside, serving up soup. As I got Chase out, they packed up and started moving down the road. I smiled at them and got a smile in return, but felt so awkward about asking them to stop and talk. I went into the convenience store and got what I needed, and then came back out. As I came out, I decided today was going to be the day I was going to stop and introduce myself to them, no matter what….

I saw them up the road and I went and parked nearby. As they got close, I got out of the car to talk to them. I told them I was a little embarrassed to be stopping them. I told them how I had seen them so many times and was touched by how hard they worked. They laughed, saying the walk was “good exercise”. I asked how far they went and they told me where they started and where they go each day. It’s a distance of about 3-4 miles each way! They asked where I lived and I told them. We live pretty near to one another. We exchanged names and I said that I wanted to give them something and slipped some money into her hand. They thanked me and blessed me. They didn’t see how much I gave them but seemed a little surprised that I stopped and talked to them and did that. They were very nice and friendly.

After my encounter with them, I cried. I just have wanted to do that for so long! I don’t know if I’ll run into them again. I don’t know exactly where they live and I don’t know if I can stop again when I do see them. I hope sometime I can. I just felt like my opportunity was today and that God gave that to me. I felt that pretty strongly when I went into the convenience store….that I knew I shouldn’t ignore this opportunity. Most of all, I just felt so thankful. I don’t know why God put this in my path today of all days, but I pray that they were blessed in some measure.

It was just beautiful……

No comments:

Post a Comment