Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Naked Flying

I was in Indianapolis in 2003 (I think :).   Ryan and Casey were back in Indonesia and I was heading to/from a writer's conference in Florida.  I had routed through Indianapolis for some reason.  Details like that escape my memory now for some reason.   I do remember though, being in the security line.  We were headed through the line and people were removing jackets and belts.  As we removed layers of outerwear worn in colder climates, I remember the gentleman in front of me turning around and saying, "We are just a few steps away from naked flying."   Oh, how right he was.   Shoes have to be removed now as standard procedure.   However, the news story that the boys and I heard this morning on NPR gave us frightening food for thought.  Apparently an Al-Queda Arabia plan was thwarted recently by a double agent.  He offered his services for a suicide mission and was given a funky new underwear bomb which was "form-fitting" into a pair of briefs and "hardly detectable by airport security."   Based on the track record of the TSA, an their propensity to be reactive instead of proactive, I now completely believe that the stranger in line was absolutely right.  No WONDER I am doing my best not to fly domestically in America anymore.   Train, automobile, boat...here I come!!

1 comment:

  1. A business man at Seatac got upset when he was asked to remove some article of clothing. He took all his clothes off and was arrested for indecent exposure. LOL

    ReplyDelete