Monday, June 25, 2012

Headline

I was shopping for something the other day and I saw a magazine near the cashier.  The headline really stood out to me.  I can't remember now which magazine it was, but perhaps it was People.  It was featuring a celebrity who has a son recently diagnosed with an illness.   The headline read, "I will not let him die".    I understand that the headline (and probably the article, although I didn't read it) meant that the mother would fight for her son and provide all she could for him.   As a celebrity, they probably have more resources than many other people.   But, on the other hand, the arrogance of the headline stopped me in my tracks.  Who are we to think that we can control anything?  Who are we to think that we can keep a loved one here?   Who are we to make such a statement?  Juxtaposed against such arrogance was the humility I witnessed as a father and husband shared his broken heart yesterday at an amazing memorial service, crying out--"Why God?....Why did you take my wife and my son?"   There was no arrogance as he shared his continuing faith in a God he does not always understand.   There was no arrogance as he laid his grief bare and as made evident  that he will choose to willingly cling to and surrender to God in the face of such hardship.   

Who are we to think that we can understand the ways of the Lord and control the world? (Job 38).
Blessed be Your Name....

No comments:

Post a Comment