Tuesday, August 20, 2013

The Old and the New



It is hard to really organize my thoughts and feelings about our first month in Indonesia.  We have moved to a city of 2 million+ people and have moved into a home in a type of housing addition.   We have started a new job, met new co-workers and students, and have started driving and learning our way around town.  We have found new yummy food and new places to swim and play.   We have set up new schedules and basically a new way of life. 

However, the old way of life here and old relationships have also called us back.   Some of the reunions have been sweeter than I could ever express.   I remember with heart-felt emotion how one of Casey’s guards in Salatiga grasped his hands in a warm shake and then touched his chest with his other hand and said, “I don’t have words (I’m speechless).”   When I met one of my best friends in the world, we just wept and several times she said, “I just can’t believe this.  It’s like I’m dreaming.”   We have also strongly felt the loss of Casey’s close friend, Gono.  We have not been able to see his wife and daughter yet, but feel his loss now so tangibly.  Even now I can hear the sound of his voice and laughter in my head.  He would have been one of the most excited people to have us back in the area. 

There are two other families in Salatiga I have been praying for and was so thankful to see.  The first was a woman named Nina who used to be a guard for Casey.  She was so excited to see our family.  When we hugged each other both of us just wept.  I have regrets that we have not had the opportunity for deeper discussions about life, family and faith and I hope and pray that we can at some point.  On the day that we left Salatiga two years ago, a special couple came to our house to see us off.  It was our old neighborhood leader and his wife.  We lived in a house in their neighborhood when Ryan was a newborn and Niko was born in that house.  They have two daughters.  One is married now and has a daughter of her own.  The other just graduated from college and is looking for a job.   Casey went to the door and surprised them.  We didn’t have their phone number, so just had to stop by.  J  They were so surprised to see us.   The wife gave me a warm handshake and kissed each cheek as you do here---but then, she really hugged me.   We don’t have the same religious beliefs or follow the same traditions, but the love they have for our family was really evident and was such a blessing to our hearts. 

When I was telling my friend about how tired I was from visiting friends (we haven’t even made it to see everyone yet, even after two visits!), she said she felt sorry for me.  Then she said that she was also not sorry—because it demonstrates how much we are loved and how many people care about us.  Although we don’t have a ministry at the same place anymore, those people have been a big part of our lives.  We have a new ministry now and new people to get to know.  I am sure that as we work here longer, we will get to know them better and develop deeper relationships.  Right now we still feel a little torn, feeling like we are a part of two worlds.  At this moment, we do give thanks for all the amazing opportunities He has given us and for all the people He has brought into our lives ALL around the world.  We are certainly blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment