Sunday, August 11, 2013

The Saga of the Watermelon



Henceforth, it appears that this is how a watermelon must travel in the Bernhardtmobile. 
 
Yesterday, we went to our friend's house.  My friend asked me to come and watch 10-12 kids at her house while Casey went to help at her fish store.  She felt like there was not a plan for lunch, so I told her I would stop at the store and grab some frozen nuggets and fries so that I could feed all the kids. After all, that sounds like a lunch menu that can't be wrong, right?   When we stopped at the store, I saw this beautiful huge watermelon.  I don't know exactly what it weighed, but it was priced at $4.00.  I thought that looked perfect for "dessert" for a dozen children.   I put all the groceries in the back of the car and we headed to her place. 
 
They live on a hill.  I know they live on a hill, but it doesn't feel like a "serious" hill.  Their driveway though is really steep and high.  Casey went to the left lane and got over partially in their driveway so we could pile out.  We thought we would just all get out and walk up their driveway, since he was continuing on to the store anyway.   I went around back as the boys were getting out of the car.  When I opened the back hatch, I heard the rustle of plastic at my feet.  I looked down around my feet, trying to figure out what plastic bag had fallen out.  Lo and behold, it was the plastic bag carrying the watermelon! 
 
Ryan had just gotten out and was standing by me, ready to get some bags--but before either of us could make sense of what was happening, that watermelon TOOK OFF, rolling down the hill.  It just rolled along the side of the road, gaining momentum as it went.   Ryan started to go for it, but Casey called him back because there was too much traffic.  Cars and bikes were honking, swerving--and then the incredible happened (which just makes me die with laughter when I think about it!), that watermelon CROSSED THE ROAD---four lanes of traffic, to the other side.  When I told my friend the story later, I just couldn't get a breath in, I was laughing so hard and I was crying. 
 
No one hit it.  It just kept rolling.  But as we lost sight of it, Casey yelled, "Go, go, let's go!"  He didn't want to stick around in case someone hit that sucker.  I really believe no one did.  It just joined the traffic melee, gliding along.  I lost a beautiful watermelon.  My deepest hope is that someone down the road was able to recover it and enjoy it!  
 
So, when I bought one today, under the seatbelt it went!  :)

 



No comments:

Post a Comment