Monday, October 21, 2013

A Special Day

Have you ever looked back at your life, realizing that God chose you specifically for some particular purpose that He had in mind for you?

This a very important week. In a few days, a special boy has a birthday.  I will never forget the day God brought him into my life. I was at home by myself at our house in Kembangarum, in Salatiga.  The phone rang.  When I answered, it was one of my very best friends.  She said that she needed my help.  One of her relatives from out of town had just given birth in Salatiga.  The mother and her young husband already had one son. They felt strongly that they could not keep another baby.  It would be too much for them.  Financially they could already barely provide for their first son. They wanted to leave Salatiga and leave the baby behind. She asked me if I could take the baby.

It was a difficult question to answer.  I am a closet baby lover (I don't "ooooh" and "aaaah" over babies, but I sure love to take care of them.)  Here was a young family in need.  How could I refuse to help?  But, I already had two sons. At that time, quite a few foreign families were looking into adoption.  Some had spent a lot of money and exerted a lot of effort to adopt, then had their hopes dashed. Many heard, "You already have two children, so your family is complete.  You don't need another child." I knew some foreigners were "fostering" but would face having to leave the child behind if/when they had to return to the States.  I knew that would not be best. As much as I like babies, I did not feel compelled to take the child and raise him. But, I understood the situation was difficult.  She wanted to drop the baby off right away.  I asked for a little time to make some calls and see if any of my Indonesian friends were interested in adoption.

One couple I knew wasn't very interested.  I sent a message to another friend and then one of her brother's called me. He started to ask me questions about the situation and about the baby.  Then he said, "Well, you know...just yesterday my brother and sister-in-law asked us to pray for them because they decided to pursue adoption."  Can I honestly tell you, that I felt the shivers run up and down my spine at his words!?  I said, "Friend, I have to tell you...just yesterday, this baby was born!"  I felt completely certain that he was born to be part of their family.

I was swept into a situation of which I have never known the like.  That afternoon, a car pulled up to my gate. Inside was the family with a brand-new baby. I had never met them before.  The young father was driving.  I saw their young son, who definitely appeared to be malnourished.  In the backseat, the young mother was holding her newborn baby.  She was weeping, tears coursing down her cheeks, as she whispered goodbye to her little one.  She trustingly turned over her newborn into the arms of a complete stranger. I think God really prepared me.  I think that if I had let the gravity of her situation really sink in and if I would have imagined myself in her shoes, I might have said, "This is just too hard.  I think you should just keep him."  God didn't let me go there that day, but allowed me to be in the right spirit to act and move in the way He purposed.

(Insert: I must say, through this experience, I have a lot respect and admiration for the courage mothers demonstrate--when they realize that for some reason they cannot keep their child.  Maybe they are single and young and unable yet to parent.  Maybe they know that they can't provide the best life for their child.  Whatever their reason, I deeply respect them.  I can't imagine anything more difficult.)

I carried that precious baby into my house and waited for his "new parents" to arrive.  I had never met them before that day (although I knew other members of their family).  They came into my home and I placed this new baby--their answer to prayer---in their arms.  They were weeping as they saw him and realized this meant instant parenting.  I think they were probably stunned and in awe of God's response too.  They felt anxiety, wondering if the birth mother would change her mind.  They felt anxiety, wondering if the adoption would go through legally since the families were of different faiths.  Despite their worries, they took that baby boy home and started a new chapter in their lives---suddenly, without nine months of preparation---not even 9 hours---!!  They were flung straight into parenting and caring for a baby, with a lot of learning to do along the way.

Over the days ahead they met the birth mother.  They shared their hearts with her and extended their love. The legal part of the adoption sailed right through and their son is completely theirs. As he has grown in stature, it is amazing to me that he bears little physical resemblance to his biological parents. He seems to be, completely, the spitting image of his adoptive father.  They named him "Samuel" because God heard and answered their prayer, just as He heard and answered Hannah's prayer for her Samuel.  God answered immediately for them--right when they prayed, Sam was born into this world---for them, and even looking like them!  I am sorry, but it seems like in this situation, God was showing off a little bit :)

I celebrate this week because it is Sam's birthday. I remembered his birthday even when were in the States and sent him things so he wouldn't forget us!, but now I get to be here in person.  Sam isn't very warm with me.  Maybe it is because I'm a white lady.  Perhaps it is because when he was a wee boy I cut his thick wavy hair for his folks and made him cry big buckets of tears.  Maybe it is because he has some sort of understanding of the role I played in this past. I'm not really sure.  I do know that I was given a very important role at just the right time and I have an important role now. My role is to pray for him as he grows, help provide for him and his parents as I can, and encourage his folks in their ministry and as they raise this young man. I am blessed beyond measure because GOD did something amazing and I got to be a part of it and witness it all go down!

Happy Birthday Sam!  May God bless you each and every day of your life. You--and your parents--are very special to me! 

Newborn Sam and his new parents!

Sam is growing up!

No comments:

Post a Comment