Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Caution Required

One lesson I have learned in this process of transition to the States is the need for caution in both what I say to others and also how I process what others say.  We left our work overseas with a clear conviction that we were following truth and doing what was right, even though it hurt so badly.  Over those weeks of "goodbyes", so many people told us--over and over again---that God had something "big" in store for us.  After hearing it so often, we really took that to heart I think.  In all the pain we looked with anticipation on what was ahead.   Now we are where we are, and it doesn't feel good.   We ask God, Where is this something BIG?  This is so not it!  Our hearts are filled with the broken pieces of our expectations.   I think I've learned something really important from this.  I know that everyone who spoke those words had good intentions.   But, as I think logically about it now, I realize that it may just have been their own personal words of comfort.  I can't necessarily take that as a "word" from the Lord.  I know that there are people in my life who have spoken the words of God to me, but that doesn't mean that every believer out there is.   I need to keep that in mind and have some realistic expectations.  I understand more now that those words were meant for comfort and encouragement.  I mean, who wants to say, "Bless you as you go!  It's really going to be tough and awful to adjust to the States.  I hope you survive it.  God will be with you"?    Maybe, standing on the other side of it now though, I would have appreciated more "truth" and less "make you feel betters"?    It's also taught me to be careful about how I encourage others and what I say.  When I encourage, I need to offer truth in love.  I need to stick with what is really in the Scripture--He is Lord.  He loves us.  He is with us.   He does have A plan.  

1 comment:

  1. I love reading your comments, Sharon, as you walk this journey and I've enjoyed reading your blog, even though I haven't done it regularly until I did catching up on it today. I actually think that what God is doing IS big in your life though; in fact, it's huge! We often seem to think that God's big and good and perfect will is going to be things that we want though, and I think that is where we may sometimes be less than accurate. It does seem though, that when I reflect on life's journey, it's in the dark times that God does more things in me than through me, not that I've had a true "Job" experience and I understand so acutely how difficult adjusting to this new "home that's not home" is. But wouldn't you say He's doing amazing things in you even though it's incredibly hard?

    ReplyDelete